Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Why I Changed The Name

I discovered accidentally that there are two other "Cognitive Dissident"'s out there: 1) a band; 2) a group of bikers [who have a facebook group].

I didn't Google "Cognitive Dissident" when I started the blog because I was pretty sure I had come up with the name first, having coined the term in an essay I wrote in January of 1994 when I was auditioning for a column in the Daily Pennsylvanian [I didn't get it.]

However clever Cognitive Dissidents is/was, it's a mouthful, and in today's day and age, brevity is certainly the better part of valor, besides being the soul of wit. [Now if I could translate that skill to the essays...]

Just for the record: "Odd Cog" is a combination of a shortened synonym for "Cognitive Dissident", as well as a play on the Talmudism "Ad Ca'an", roughly translated as "The End", or "end quote", which I once Anglicized to Odd Con prior to this transformation. [It's also the name I record under. One day I'll release something.]

No comments: